Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Want to Be a Pan Am Girl



I really do!

I will just come right out & admit that it is largely in part because of the uniforms.
I love them! Who wouldn't want a girdle, torpedo bra, & awesome bowling bag? - you can fit EVERYTHING in there! or at least everything you'd need for a cross continental trip.

We all know (maybe not all but ya know) that i'm obsessed with the 50s & 60s (& 70s & 80s).
Camelot!
There is something that is just so glamorous about it all. Where is the glamour in American Airlines or even Jet Blue?
Imagine being able to travel all over the world but first! you have to meet all the requirements. The thrill of the competition intrigues me! Imagine the feeling those girls got when they were chosen to be a pan am stewardess! (imagine the disappointment they felt when they were not chosen...YIKES!)

Of course I have just finished watching the first episode of Pan Am on ABC and one of those fictional pilots described the girls as having "an impulse to take flight."

and that is totally what I have right now - an impulse to take flight both literally and figuratively!

What attracts me to these girls is that not only were they the right age, height, & weight, not only did they have a beautiful face & spoke three languages, but they all had their own personal reasons for becoming a pan am stewardess.

What would my reason be?

I think it'd be to get unstuck. To see everything I want to see. To face my fears. To find myself even? To be apart of something that is bigger than myself...

and again...the uniform!

but since I can't run off to Pan Am Headquarters in Midtown, Manhattan circa 1963
what can I do?
hmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment