Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Playlist For Girls [& Guys?] Like Me



Some would describe me as a bit of an "old soul" - I love old movies, old books, & old music.
If it was made before 1988 I probably love it more than anything produced in this past decade.
I have, on numerous occasions, expressed my desire to be in a 1960's girl group [specifically The Ronnettes...more for the beehive hairdo & super thick eyeliner and less less less for both the business & personal relationship they had with that looney tune phil spector], but I think if I could go back even further I would want to be a Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, or Anita O'day. And if I couldn't be one of them, I would settle for being some twenty-something fanatic who related [maybe a little too much]to the sadness. I would follow them around [in the least creepy way possible], trying to convince them that I too was as tortured [as they seem & in most cases were] in some kind of desperate attempt to get them to accept me...but i digress.

So here a few of these songs that I love. Listen to them on rainy days and/or lonely nights [as they seem to be most effective at those times]:

I'm A Fool to Want You - Billie Holiday
Anita's Blues - Anita O'Day
Sunday Kind of Love - Ella Fitzgerald
I Love You, Porgy - Nina Simone
Fool That I Am - Etta James
Stormy Blues - Billie Holiday
Ain't Misbehavin - Dinah Washington
Sentimental Journey - Doris Day
I Never Meant to Love Him - Etta James
It Was Written in the Stars - Ella Fitzgerald
My One & Only - Sarah Vaughn
I Don't Know - Ruth Brown
The Very Thought of You - Billie Holiday
Stormy Weather - Etta James
Someone to Watch Over Me - Ella Fitzgerald
Come Rain or Shine - Billie Holiday
&
A BONUS!
Be My Baby - The Ronnettes <--- I had to!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment