Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"Did you see that customer I just had? I wanted to cry..."

, he said.

"No," I responded in my naivete (let us pretend all the accent marks were where they should be). "What happened? Was she mean?"

I was expecting a quick story about a "guest" with a nasty attitude - given our location only a half block away from burberry & balenciaga that wouldn't surprise me, but what my new co-worker said next totally did...

back to the story!

me: "what happened? was she mean?"
male coworker: "She had a Hermes bag. oh my god. & when I asked her how she was going to pay she took out a black card. oh my god. I almost cried. It was so inspiring."
me: ...

uhhhh

male coworker: wow
me:...wow.
but for completelyyyyyyyy different reasons.

Hmmm how do I go about the rest of this post without sounding like a snob?

Let me start by saying that this is the same coworker who on our first day said that it was one of his dreams to work on 5th avenue & how he had to call his friend right away to tell her he finally did it.

And so I propose this question:
What are your dreams?

I mean If one is going to have any Madison Avenue or 5th Avenue (or even Lower Broadway) dreams wouldn't it be to shop there? [& by shop there I mean with a "just throw it in the bag" state of mind and pocket]
Does one really aspire to work on 5th avenue?
and maybe its the 4 year age difference & the fact that I've already got a degree, but should a woman coming with her Hermes bag to swipe her black card for a couple cashmere sweaters inspire me to go back to school so that I can then buy a Hermes bag, get a black card, and spend money on a couple cashmere sweaters?
Realistically I'd be in too much student loan debt to even afford a coach bag, ya know?
& reallyy? you want to cry because this woman is so "inspiring"? maybe we have two different definitions of inspiration. We have no idea what this woman has done in her life to have a designer bag and an american express card. She could have just lucked out and showed up at the right harvard business school party at the right time. Does that mean you aspire to marry rich? I mean granted this woman could be independently wealthy. She could be one of the best business women to ever live, but until we know for sure is her "success" anything to cry over?

I'm no fortune teller, but lets say I don't foresee any birkin bags in my future...does that mean I wasn't inspired enough?

I kind of want to sit that kid down and just explain life to him. I need to tell him that hes got it all wrong.
or maybe i'm the one who has it all wrong? I really don't know, but I really don't think so.

Let us all re-evaluate what inspires and motivates us.

Also!
Let us take the youth (anyone born after 1989...with some exceptions) and re-educate them.

Dear Youth of New York City (I've got to start small),
I can save you!
...Just read this blog.
There is hope for you yet!

1st we will address your misguided dreams, and then maybe we'll have some time left to discuss why "I want to be able to run around & play with my kids" is terrible reasoning for why you actually plan to have kids before you're old enough to legally drink or even buy a lotto ticket (in some states).

No comments:

Post a Comment