Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"Like honey & trombones...": The night Anis Mojgani misspelled my name*


Why has it been almost two years since i've been to the Bowery Poetry Club? I never make time for the things I love anymore.
About 2 weeks ago I was browsing Anis Mojgani's website, The Piano Farm, when I saw that he was going to be here in NYC. I've missed him every single time hes been here since I heard his work for the first time and became obsessed (as I am known to easily get).
rushakesthedust? It was my attempt at channeling my inner Mojgani. Have you ever seen him perform "Shake the dust"? You don't even have to see it, close your eyes and just listen.


Cliche to say that this poem changed my life? Yes...but I am not ashamed.
I requested the day off from work because there was no way I was going to miss him again.

I arrived at the Bowery Poetry Club an hour early. Anis wasn't scheduled to go on until 7:30 but there was supposed to be a "wordshop" at 6:30 and who would want to miss the 7:00pm open mic?
I'm pretty sure the last time I was there I promised myself that I'd read on that stage one day. That i'd write something worthy enough for the lower east side to hear. I'm obviously not at that point in my life but maybe one day?

There was a woman beside me. She walked in with her neo-hippie, poetry writing daughter and went immediately to the bar to get a glass of wine. She was wearing a pair of kate spade readers. I swear this job follows me everywhere.

Anis walked in wearing his signature red beanie and a backpack. I'm sure he walked to "The Bowery..." and i'm sure almost everyone he passed on his way had no idea who he is, what he doesm and how he changes lives. They had no idea that there was a venue full of people waiting to hear him speak.
I don't think anyone told him he was supposed to do a wordshop because he walked in 10 minutes before the open mic & he doesn't seem to be the late type.

As I was scribbling bits of this post down in my notebook the girl sitting next to me asked if i was reading tonight - imagine??? me??? reading my poetry in front of a sold out crowd? like i said before, im just not at that point in my life yet.

It was time for the open mic & the first name they called was that of the neo-hippie. Shes 15 & she read a poem about her dead father. 15 & yet she was brave enough to do something i'm just not ready to do. Her wine sipping mother was so proud.
&
then another guy whose name escapes me got up & performed a piece about a lot of things but mostly life.
I grabbed my notebook to scribble down as much as I could - "I used to walk around with funerals in my head."
I'll have to find my way back to this guy.

A few more brave souls shared poems - almost all of them reading from an iphone, blackberry, ipad, or laptop...

& then...Anis.


He opened with probably the most profound thing anyone has ever said about a lemon tree. It was short & sweet.
& then...
"This is for the fat girls..."
the room erupted in cheers & snaps. shake the dust. It is so much more amazing in person.
I should have recorded it! but I needed to just sit there & experience it. Hopefully i'll be able to catch another one of his readings & experience it all over again.
He did about 5 poems? which just wasn't enough. I could listen to him for hourssss but I am sure he has no desire to read every poem in his hugeeee library of poems in one night.
I'd have to settle for just a few.

After his feature he was in the cafe selling & signing books. I never have cash so I had to run across the street to the bank to get cash & hope that he'd still be there when I got back. He was - he was staying for the slam. I waited in line & I'll skip over the awkwardness that I hesitate to call a conversation, but he now knows that i'm a huge fan & i bought over the anvil we stretch and he signed it and I went back to my seat.

Remember the girl who asked me if I was I was reading tonight? Turns out she was! A few poets into the slam she got up & I assumed she was just going to the bathroom. She was actually next up! Her first poem was great. I wish I had it to post for you all but I don't. Her second poem was even better and got her into the 3rd & final round. She was up against 2 other women - two obviously well seasoned poets. You could tell she thought she wouldn't stand a chance...but SHE WON! the look on her face was priceless. She came back to her seat & I was beaming with pride.

I can't help but think that maybe she has some kind of sixth sense & that when she asked if I was reading, she had actually sensed the poetry in me.

Overall I had a pretty great night. I haven't felt this creative in a long time. Its poetry month...did ya know? Last april I attempted 30/30 & failed.
Do you know what 30/30 is? 30 poems in the 30 days of the month of April. I assume everyone just writes 1 poem a day, but if you're me you might wait until about 15 days in & try to come up with 15 poems in 30 minutes.
Perhaps I'll try again?


*"Redine, stay filled with wonder...-anis"

1 comment:

  1. This is a really beautiful post. I was there as well, and you capture the atmosphere perfectly. Do you have any more pictures from that night? I've been trying to find some videos or images off the internet, but with no luck

    ReplyDelete